I’m sharing one of my favourite vegetarian meals – tomato sauce, aubergines and mozzarella make a heavenly combination! Quick pasta dishes are my family’s midweek favourites! This simple aubergine and mozzarella pasta recipe is a real family favourite. I like mine a little spicy so usually add dried chilli flakes on my portion. I usually put the ingredients to my trusty slow cooker around lunchtime. Or it’s ready in under 30 minutes if using a pan, so it’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Aubergine and Mozzarella Pasta
- 1-2 red or white onions, chopped finely
- 2 medium aubergine chopped finely (or into 1cm cubes)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic crushed or finely diced
- 2 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, dash of dried oregano & thyme
- 500 g pasta you could make this with any shape, but I like it best with penne
- 2 dl double cream
- basil leaves roughly torn
- 2 balls mozzarella teared roughly
- I usually use my lovely slow cooker as it takes less supervising, but a pan works equally well, and is obviously quicker too! Add the chopped onion, garlic, aubergine, spices, chopped tomatoes and balsamic vinegar.
- Cook in the slow cooker for 4-5 hours in medium heat (or 20mins in a pan)
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions / your own preferences.
- Drain the pasta and tip the sauce in, stirring thoroughly to coat the pasta in the sauce.
- Finally, add the basil leaves and mozzarella and stir again. There should be just enough heat in the pan to warm and slightly soften the mozzarella. And then just enjoy!